Feeling lonely doesn’t mean you are on your own you can be in a crowded room and feel lonely, be with friends and still feel lonely even being in a relationship and feel lonely.
So how to understand your feeling of loneliness you could ask yourself some questions:
1 When do you feel the most lonely?
2 Do certain people make you feel more lonely when you are around them?
3 How long have you been feeling this way?
4 What does feeling lonely make you want to do?
You could try and answer the above by starting a journal or a diary of feelings or events; some prompts you could use:
1 I feel lonely when……
2 I feel lonely because…..
3 When did I first starting feeling lonely….
4 How long have I felt this way…
Consider talking to a therapist about how you have been feeling.
It may be hard to figure out why you feel lonely and how to move past those feelings. A mental health professional can help you to understand and work through your loneliness. Feeling lonely may indicate that you are depressed or that you have another underlying mental health condition. Talking to a therapist can help you understand what is going on and decide on the best course of action.
Realising you are not on your own is one of the hardest things to do if you are feeling lonely you could try and comfort yourself by saying to a friend or relative
“Lately I have been feeling lonely and I wondered if you have ever felt this way.”
Somethings to help you with loneliness
- Do social activities by yourself
- Consider getting a pet.
- Get involved in activities
- Challenge yourself to take the initiative in social relationships
- Spend time with your family
- Be a pleasant presence.
- Join an online community
- Consider joining a gym.
- Learn a new skill
The above are only ideas to consider for yourself
At the start of this blog I stated you could feel alone in certain cirumstances
- Crowded Room – Standing alone you know everyone there and no one is communicating with you. Contemplate approaching someone and have a conversation.
- Being with friends – No contact for ages even though you have attempted contact and get no response – this is not your fault. True friends stay in touch no matter what with the hep of Social Media its so easy to remain in touch. If you haven’t spoke to someone who you consider a friend for sometime drop them a line as they may need you.
- Being in a relationship – Your with someone special and you feel alone and thinking what’s the point of this as your not communicating or doing things as a couple and you don’t know what’s wrong; its time to talk if you love them to get it back on track
Being lonely is hard for anyone more so when you are with someone or in a crowd and you are being ignored by everyone or friends not responding to messages.
Manners cost nothing think about the person in your life that could potentially feel lonely make there day and contact them.